Marriage Licensing

Two people holding hands and getting married.

The Town of Tecumseh is making it easier for residents to say, I do!

Starting in January 2018, the Town will be offering marriage licensing services. The  service will be available at the Town Hall office during regular hours.

The marriage licence fee is $130.00 (cash or debit only) and is valid for 3 months from the date of issue.

Process for Issuing Marriage Licences

  1. Applicants must be 18 years of age or over; or written parental consent is required.
  2. Licence is only valid in Ontario for 3 months from the date of issue.
  3. Application form must be completed and printed off.  Both applicants must sign the application form; however, both applicants do not need to be present to issue the licence.
  4. Two (2) pieces of identification are required for both applicants whether one is present or not - photocopies will not be accepted.
  5. Documents not in English or French must be translated by a certified translator.
  6. Fee of $130.00 (cash or debit only) is required.

Original Documents Required


Each applicant must provide 2 pieces of identification - one must be a photo identification as follows:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Valid Passport
  • Record of Immigration Landing
  • Canadian Citizenship Card

The second must contain a photo such as:

  • Valid Passport (if not used as first piece of identification)
  • Ontario Health Card
  • Valid Driver's Licence
  • Nexus Card

Divorce Documents

One document providing proof of divorce in Canada (original only) such as:

  • Final decree or judgement dissolving or annulling the previous marriage;
  • Certified copy of the final decree, judgement or Act dissolving or annulling the previous marriage; or
  • Certificate of divorce, or
  • If divorced outside of Canada, the authorization, in writing, of the Minister of Consumer and Business Affairs (commonly known as the "foreign divorce authority").

Once the form has been completed and signed by both applicants, the necessary identification has been provided, and the fee paid, the office staff will prepare the Marriage Licence, meet with the applicant(s) as set out in the Marriage (Prohibited Degrees) Act, and administer the Oath.

Contact the Corporate Services & Clerk's Department at 519-735-2184 Extension 139 for more information.

News Release on Marriage Licensing dated December 20, 2017

Marriage Licence Application